Thursday, January 9, 2014

Week 7

          I really enjoyed the communication resources guide paper this week.  The first thing that stuck out in my head greatly was the quote at the very beginning by Bob Williams : “Every person, regardless of the severity of his/her disabilities, has the right and the ability to communicate with others, express everyday preferences and exercise at least some control over his or her daily life. Each individual, therefore, should be given the chance, training, technology, respect and encouragement to do so.”  This quote really sums up the main idea of special education as whole. It is about giving people equal opportunities to participate in daily life in a way in which they can be successful.  It is part of a persons rights as a human being in America: the right to free speech. Therefore, it is important to provide people with the proper tools necessary to flourish as an American. 
          I enjoyed reading the Communication Bill of Rights, and I found it interesting that it was not developed until 1992.  What did people who had trouble communicating do before?  Were they allowed the resources and tools necessary?  Did they have access on all levels to resources and communication devices if necessary? 
          I feel as if I learned a lot more about AAC.  I always understood the purpose; however, I was not always aware of the different types that are included.  I learned that gestures and writing, facial expressions and eye pointing, head shaking and drawing are all commonly used by the general public.  Without even recognizing these types of AAC, people do them every day of their life.  It just goes to show how important communication is.  People also use computers, telephones, typewriters (not so much any more), and fax machines as another technological way to communicate with other people. 
          ACC is an important aspect of everyday life because it helps people communicate in a variety ways.  It allows people to be an active member of society and participate in education, family life, and in social life.  It allows people to become independent and develop self-confidence and determination because they can communicate what they are feeling.  As part of one of my assignments for a previous class I had to do an hour of silence to gain a sense/idea of what it would be like to participate in conversation without verbally talking.  I developed a sense of frustration and like I was just a listener and not actively involved.  I felt like an outcast and I had so many things I wanted to say.  Imagine having to live life like that completely?  Well, with the help of ACC people with disabilities do not have to!

1 comment:

  1. Before methods to instigate initiation were recognized, people who did not communicate were isolated from others. They could not talk, so they would often get frustrated, and it wasn't until recently that PECS and writing were considered viable. Not a good time to have autism, but it also wasn't as widespread.

    ReplyDelete