Thursday, January 9, 2014

Week 3

            This week I found the extra resources very helpful.  I especially liked the article about the benefits of a slanted desk.  I never realized how much a slanted desk really affects ones writing.  One of my students in my class uses a slant board whenever he writes (as suggested by the OT), and his writing and letter formations have improved dramatically.  It was interesting the hear about the benefits of having a slanted surface while working: reduces neck tension, allows your body to sit in a more upright position, eliminates wrist pain, gives writer more control, and use different muscles.
            From the PowerPoint Twice Exceptional, I learned a lot of the characteristics of gifted students.  I was aware of some of the characteristics of a gifted student; however, I was able to expand my knowledge.  I don’t really work with any gifted students so my experience is limited.  Nonetheless, it is important to recognize those characteristics of a gifted student in order to maximize learning.  I don’t agree that gifted students with disabilities should necessarily be placed in a regular classroom. It depends greatly on the severity of the disability.  Furthermore, I think as a special educator and as a teacher it is must easier to help students that are lower than it is to enrich learning material for gifted students.  There becomes a challenge on how to meet the needs of those students who are twice exceptional.  It is important to figure out different strategies for teaching and understand student’s strengths in order to effectively differentiate learning.  
           One thing that I thought about during this week’s activities and readings was my classroom and my students.  On a daily basis they are exposed to technology whether it be a SmartBoard, individual laptops, or OT tools.  All types of technology that my students have in their class have helped and benefited students on ALL levels. I can not help but think about schools and classrooms with such limited resources and the impact that it has on student learning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment